Returning back to our original creative event, the Handmade Contest makes its return. This year, it's open-ended. Love to sew? The Handmade Contest allows you to showcase your favorite piece. We have a couple of rules to keep everyone on the same page, but otherwise it is open to interpretation. Extra points if you adhere to this year's theme! Our judges would love to see works combining multiple style influences into a single piece.
If you have never attended one of our Handmade Contests before, we originally started the contest in our inaugural year. It was meant to allow those with an official brand or talented, new tailors/seamstresses to show off their work. Over the years, we have seen incredibly gorgeous pieces. Starting from our 2014 winner to last year's two winners, we really love the individuality expressed.
How to Enter the Handmade Contest
We accept any age or skill level into the contest. There are no pattern or style restrictions. If your idea is outside of what society deems "normal" (whatever that is!), your coordinate belongs on our stage. Although, we are a huge sucker for details. Adding those extra pintucks and ruffles will get you a couple more points.
The judges use a scoring sheet that considers 5 categories: Theme, Creativity, Originality, Completion, and Technique. You will get a score from 1 - 20. Highest score you can receive from a single judge is 100 points. The highest points combined will win! Here are some details on the categories:
- Theme: How coordinated is the overall outfit? How well does it go with this year's theme?
- Creativity: How well thought out is the concept? Is there an interesting use of materials that work well together?
- Originality: Is this something we have never seen before? How "out of the box" is it?
- Completion: Are all the seams hemmed and finished? Is any portion of it not completely finished?
- Technique: How difficult was the piece to make? Were there specific types of finishes that are not easy to accomplish, but were done exceptionally well?
There will be no online application. You can sign up directly before the contest at the conference.
Ready to take on the challenge? Read the detailed rules here. Get your pieces ready; we want to see a full head to toe look! Good luck!