The Marketplace, our nod to a typical Dealer’s Room or Artists’ Alley, welcomes artisans and shops big and small whose wares are relevant to our clientele. You can be a huge, booming business, or a small, one person shop – we accept applications for the Marketplace from anyone!

Before looking at our Marketplace options, please review the following tax-related information that is applicable to all vendors, regardless of size, to sell items in the state of Connecticut.

Anyone can apply for the Marketplace, but no vendor can finalize a spot in the Marketplace without all relevant Connecticut Sales Use & Tax Permit information completed.

Connecticut Sales Use & Tax Permit

If you are an international vendor, please contact us directly as different policies apply.

Looking to become a vendor in the State of Connecticut? You need to file for a business tax permit with the CT Department of Revenue Service, and you must pay taxes to the state on all of your sales within the State of Connecticut, excluding non-taxable items. The license generally costs $100 and lasts for 5 years (That’s $20 per year for being able to do business within CT.) You can find the information/forms you need on their website:|

For telephone assistance call:

860-297-5962 (from anywhere)
1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut calls outside the Greater Hartford area only)

Some Helpful Information

There are benefits to having a Sales & Use Tax Permit, you will be able to buy art supplies and materials at wholesale prices, or from a retail store based in Connecticut (without paying sales tax, you need to fill out a form before this happens though – It also shows that you take yourself and your art seriously, that you feel that your art is a viable business, that you’re passionate about your art as a business.

Filing your business sales tax must be done quarterly (every 3 months), however, you can opt to pay yearly if you do most of your business during one quarter only. There are also two easy ways to calculate how much sales tax you need to send in to the State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS):

Option 1:

Add 6.35% to the sale price of each item you sell (this can be done with a calculator and multiplying your sale price (example $10 print) by 1.0635 (the one representing your print cost, and the .0635 representing the sales tax you’re collecting) so $10 x 1.0635 = $10.64 is the total your customer would pay for your $10 print, with $10.64 – $10.00 = $0.64 going to the DRS in sales tax.

The benefit of this method is that you get to keep 100% of your sale price and you can keep the sales tax in a separate envelope, add up the amount in the envelope at the end of the weekend, and send it in to the DRS.

Option 2:

Subtract sales tax from your total sales for the weekend. As an example, say you sold 30 prints at $10 (tax included in the $10) each for the weekend ($30 x 10 = $300), and you did 40 commissions at $20 (tax included in the $20) each ($20 x 40 = $800) for total sales of $300 + $800 = $1,100 you need to find out how much of that $1,100 is sales tax that you owe to the DRS. Just simply divide $1,100 by 1.0635 to find out how much you keep ($1,100 / 1.0635 = $1,034.32). You would then send the difference between your $1,100.00 in sales and the amount you keep $1,034.32 ($1,100 – $1,034.32 = $ 65.68)

The benefit of this method is that you deal in even amounts of bills for the weekend, and don’t need to count out change. At the end of the weekend, do the math, and send a check to DRS for the amount of taxes your customers paid on the sales you made.

Vendor Application

We have some rules about what can be sold in our Marketplace. You cannot sell the following:

  • Second-hand items. Those type of items should be sent to our Consignment Room, and cannot be sent in remotely.
  • Another brand’s merchandise (unless you are an authorized dealer of said goods – please mention this in your application and we will review the legitimacy).
  • Food or beverage of any kind, including candy.
  • Bootleg, unlicensed, or replica merchandise.
  • Weapons under the Connecticut laws for possessing an illegal weapon.
  • Real guns, working, disabled, or otherwise.
  • Projectile weapons (pellet guns, airsoft rifles, pistols, disc guns, paintball markers, water pistols, or other liquid “weapons,” etc).

If you are questioning whether your items will be allowed or not, please contact us directly and tell us what you want to sell. We will be able to tell you directly if the items are OK.

Please note that not all requests can be met. Requests are not treated on a first-come, first-serve basis – each store is evaluated individually to determine which vendors will provide the best experience for our attendees.

Vendor applications for the 2017 conference year will be made available shortly.

Contact Us Today